Interview Time

08/02/2018

After yesterday's lecture, I started to think about what I could for my Unit 7's final project. Through back to the past projects I did, I found that there was no project that relate to myself or my personal stories. Therefore for this project, I strongly want to do something that can express my personal emotions. I decided to look deep into three parts of me as my inspirations, and they are: family/friends/childhood. Because I felt those are the things that I'm interested in, and when I actually do the project, it would be much easier for me to do the research and further development. 

03/02/2018

Running out of time, only one day left. still going to library. For today's goal, I just want to finish sticking the A2 sheets I have for now(the entire Corduroy project and parts of my color project). This is gonna take a pretty long time to do it, because I have to make sure every parts of the A2 sheet is on the right position, and also recreating some parts also take a long time to do. The good thing is that once I'm done with these pages, I've only got one or two pages to go, and tonight, I'm also going to make some textile samples for my color project, since I really don't have much work on this part. Sample is definitely a great way to express my ideas of the project.  

I found  a bit struggling when I put the actual samples on top of the A2 sheets, because it is much different compare to the flat version, so I have to recompose the layout a bit. Fortunately, it works well in the end. 

29/01/2018

Feeling not so good today, got sick again. Yesterday was Monday, and I did another tutorial with Chris on my color project, it didn't went so well. Over the weekends, I organised my thoughts on this project, and did some collages on my fresh concept which is using holding hands and denim ideas as I mentioned before. Personally, I really like those four collages I did, because it looks like this project has more connections in between, as well as the collages I made is much easier for me to find the shapes. However, after I discussed with Chris about it, it seems like too jumpy from the work I did before, he suggested me just stay with what I have, and continue develop on them. So what I am going to do today is to do more drippings, I bought some denim clothes from second hand store, and did some ruffle samples, and then drip them on to the body.

23/01/2018

Today I had my final photoshoot for my Corduroy project, I was very upset yesterday night, because the model I've booked originally had canceled the shoot for today, so I though there is no one going to model for me  today, but luckily, one of my friends is glad to help, I'm very grateful. The shoot turned up in the place called Hamstead Health Park. And one of my photography friends is taking over the shoot for me. It was very very cold today, and my model was shaking in the wind; therefore, it wasn't a long shoot, yet the result turned out very well, I was surprised about this. For the next few days, I'm hoping I could finish editing the pictures, and collage them onto my final A2 sheets. 

Corduroy Project

19/01/2018

Today is the final day of editing my five A4 sheets for Westminister, I went to CSM library for more scanning of my work, but I mainly spend the whole time drawing of my final illustrations. This is taking years to finish, but I am very satisfy with all the details I have been working on. Later on I started to finalise my A2 drafts on the computer, and place them on to the right position. Still not easy to do, but at least I have a outline for it. Many of the pictures have to use photoshop to fix, and make the sheets looks clean and professional. 

18/01/2018

In the morning, Chris did the Westminister portfolio tutorial for us. I scanned all my sketchbook pages, and cut the necessary parts out, then collage them into five different A2 sheets (research page, two design development, final out come page, one illustration page). For this project, I felt it is easy for me to do, because every page in my sketchbook has good connection from one the another, therefore, when I choose the elements for the A2 sheets, the color and research is very consistent. In the afternoon, we had the group critic with textile pathway. Staying group of four, and each of us explain our works to others. I found I could learn more from this way of critiquing, because we are not just flip through the sketchbook page, but we are actually listening to the deeper thoughts of everyone's work, which is much more interesting. 

16/01/2018

After Sunday's dripping, I did four to five pages of design developments, and for today. I picked up a final design, and started to do the pattern making, still on going with the process, but it's nearly there. 

10/01/2018

Today is mainly a sample making day, I went to yarn store to get some thin threads for machine knit. I wanted to create a layering texture that is inspired by the mushroom look. Well, the reality is always sad, it is pretty hard to use machine create that kind of look. However, I still tried to use different tightness yarns to show the linear texture. 

Colour Project

2/1/2018

Finally starting my design development, I put the bubble sample on to the body that I made based on the my inspirational collages, and then took many picture of it in different positions. Afterwards, I wanted to recollage into distinct shapes that is more exaggerated.

29/12/2017

Got up pretty early to finishing up my garment, yesterday night I reworked a bit of my pattern, added on another sleeve part. And I am quite happy with the new shapes I made. My job today was just cut the fabric and started to sew! Sewing didn't take that long.. I'm surprised too. The main work that took me a long time was to manipulate the shape into something I like, and also this is preparing for Saturday's photoshoot. Show as the pictures I took, That 24 versions of my garment was changed by 4 different ways of wearing it. I took them from different angles, so the shapes showed differently, I thought a lot of them are quite interesting too. Gonna do more development through sketchbook pages! 

20/12/2017

I decided to begin with the project by researching the definition  of colours, and I found I'm really into the concept of pink and blue. Because it reminded me of childhood fantasy life, such as fairy tale stories. But after I did a page of fairy tale, it reminded me of my 18th birthday's surprise that my friend gave to me. The fantasy of balloon became one of the most important memories in my life. Then a movie called Marie Antoinette, the character in the movie can represent the fantasy of love really well, so I wanted to do some collage pages first.

15/12/2017

Today is the first day of starting my "Color project", had no ideas in my head, so I went to the library to do research. At first, I was just looking randomly to those colour pallet books, and they are so boring for me. Then I decided to look for some artist like Wolfgang Tillmans, Dalston Anatomy, etc. They consider as installation artists, I really like the ways they use colour not only for the installations themselves, but also the environment they choose to exhibit their work has a great impact too. This is only my starting point, even though I still do not have much ideas in my mind, but I will keep researching. 

7/12/2017

After the group critic. Firstly, I did not produce enough work as I suppose to do, so I have to do as much development as I would during weekends. Secondly, after seeing other people's I understood why am I working so slow for this project, because I always over think about what I could do for each sketchbook page, in this case, I would think for a long time, but not doing anything on the page. Also, every time, when I start a new page, I wanted to make it looks perfect, which is not right, because sketchbook is meant to make mistakes and progresses, I cared too much about the layout rather than the actual development. This caused my efficiency is very low. In addition, I found myself is too limit on the sketchbook, I should do more body manipulations or textile samples that I could place on to the body. In this way, I think it would gave me more ideas about what I could for next development. In the next few days, I will do more drapping on the body, as well as more researches about my personal experience. 

4/12/2017

I did tutorial with Chris today on my development I did so far. It really helped to make my mind clear again, and he gave me many advice of what research and development I could do next. As I mentioned before, I'm really stuck on this project, and Chric pointed out my problems and how I could fix them in a better way. Taking my research collages as an example, I should make my research wider, but not just stick with only one idea, because if I'm too limit with my thoughts, then it would be hard for me to do my further development. Also, adding my personal experience is very essential. So far, I do not have a personal story add to the project. Therefore, once I have all the work add on, it is easier for me to connect each parts together. By making samples, and body developments base on my research, I would say the progress will become much successful than now. 

28/11/2017

The sewing workshop we did with Daniel today was quite interesting. I know how to sew ruffles and plates before, so today I mainly used the skills I knew before, and developed with it. For example, making ruffles in the fabrics with different width, and sew them all together in to one piece, in this vision, it would create more volume of course, but also when I manipulate with them on the body, it would have more possibilities to develop. The box plates is one skill that i did not know how to do it. Even though I don't think I would use those methods within this project, but they are definitely the sewing skills that I should to have. Later afternoon, we continued with our research development, still didn't do much sketchbook, and didn't really have a direction. However, I felt it is better to start with some collages about my spaceman hamlet first, and then see if the inspiration could pops when I do collage or drawing.

23/11/2017

Even though I finished my 10 final illustrations, I still don't think I got enough research and design developments.  Reflecting the whole week, I think I'm weak at paper manipulation part, I should've try more ways of develop paper on to body,  as well as collage them into illustrations, this would help me to create a better development page. When I look back at my paper manipulation with illustration, I felt my I used so much of the texture, so that it is quite hard for me to notice the silhouette the garment, instead, it is more about textile look. Also, I tried both using marker and water colour medium, and water colour worked much better than the markers, with the shapes I created, water colour showed a clear vision of the silhouette. 

20/11/2017

Today we switched up the six images with our partner. Both me and my partner are from China, but still from different culture background. From her image I found the most interesting image is the famous Paramount night club back then. It is very much about the mixed culture between Chinese and Western. And it also showed how the bustling feeling in China at that time (1920s). This also remind me the connection between Shanghai and Dalston Street we've visited last week. Later on, we are mainly doing collage based on some observational drawings and this 6 images, but unfortunately, my partner gave my quite small pictures, so it's a bit hard for me to collage with it, so I think I will do more collages when I print some bigger skills.  

16/11/2017

After we got the brief from school, me and my partner went straight to Dalston Street market. Even though me and my partner are both from China, we still came from a totally different city and cultural background which is good, because we would have more things to share with each other. For example, I am from Xi'an (northern side of China) a famous historical cultural city, and she's Shanghai (southern side of China)which is a really big city that with many Western countries' building because of the historical events. Therefore, for her it is quite easy to find connections in London compare to me. When we go to Dalston Street, we saw some buildings that are representing Shanghai. In addition, we found that this street is full of multielement, I felt like this is a place that collision of both old and new cultures. The first impression of the street is quite mess and old fashioned style, but when we actually went to each store to explore, we found many many interesting things going on there. Many good restaurants, art conceptual stores One of my favourite buyer stores is called LN-CC, I really like how they construct and decorate the interior design.  There are lots of inspirations had coming to my mind after going Dalston Street, hopefully, I could use them in my later work with my partner.  

06/02/2018

Still can't take a rest after the interview, Going Chelsea for another textile interview tomorrow. Therefore, for today's plan is mainly making more samples of my Corduroy and colour project. Luckily, I went to get materials yesterday,  so it is much easier for me to create. I focused more on textile making of Corduroy project, because I felt the mushroom texture and colour parts are a lot more interesting than colour project. I used yarn as my main material, yet different year would create distinct texture and feelings. In addition, I know it would be very boring if I only use one technique of doing it, so I tried croche, hands knitting, as well as waving. The results turned out pretty well, even though I didn't do a lot of them, but quality over quantity. Wish me luck for tomorrow. 

31/01/2018

This whole week I was stuck with my colour project's A2 sheets, and of course, today I am still working on it.Yesterday I deconstructed the clothes I bought from the thrift store, and looked at some of my research collages from my sketchbook to find shapes. And then I used those shapes as my inspirations to drip the fabrics. I didn't like the shapes at first, but after a few drippings, I started to find the right way of doing it, which is that stop caring too much about the construction of the clothing itself, but just focusing on the shape, it would become much interesting by just manipulating the fabric. With different positions, I usually take many photos as references for my later use. 

In the afternoon, I went CSM library for printing those pictures, and then cut them apart, recollage them into other new shapes, I found this way of working for my design development is much faster and interesting compare to before. Later of the day, I will draw more illustration of those collage drippings. Hopefully, there will be some exciting designs turns out. 

25/01/2018

Tutorial of portfolio

Spend the whole night last night in the library, finished my first layout of Corduroy project, but when I went through the sketchbook of my colour project, I found that the connection of project is quite weak, and I know this would definitely cause problems when I do my editing on the A2 sheets.  In this cause, I really want to discuss it with Chris to see  if he could give me any advise with the editing on both projects. 

After the talk with him, it did helped me of clarify the thread of my colour project, and of course I still need to do more design developments on it.Since I am not going to make this project for many pages(5 or 6). Chris pointed out the elements that I could use for the inspirational page and research page. As for the further design development pages, I do not have many, so I have to try to finish them by Monday, and let Chris take a look one more time.  

In addition, for my Corduroy project, I did 10 pages of it, and we deleted two of them , so for now I am quite satisfy with them.

21/01/2018

I have been working on my final clothing making for several days, and today I finally finished my top hoodie part, this is taking me so long to sew, and no sleep for three days already. After making the biggest part of the garment, it is time for hand knit the "working" straps. Spend the whole day sitting on the catch and knit six balls of yarn, it's hard to achieve, but I am still keep knitting, hopefully I could finish it tomorrow. 

14/01/2018

Today is Sunday, got up very late, but still have so much work to do.  I think I did enough for my research part for this project. Therefore, I give myself a deadline of finishing the first dripping by today, and continued on the the design development, I didn't choose to use fabric as my dripping materials, I chose to use paper, since this project I'm going to create a structure look, so using paper is going to be much easier for me to achieve. Relate back to military wear, I've been noticed that most of them would have a safety straps, I really like this elements, so I used knitting machine to knit a small piece of sample to achieve a strap look, and then put it together with the paper dripping. They actually look quite interesting with one and another. 

12/01/2018

Since I've failed with machine knitting skills, I started to think what else can I do that I could recreate a linear texture feeling, then I saw how people are making corset fabric-- sew the cords or strings inside two pieces of fabrics, this could easily create a 3D texture look compare to the knit ones. Therefore, I did a small sample of it, personally, I really like it, and I think it also relate to my starting point which is corduroy. Speak back to the concept of combining both mushroom and workwear, I found actually military wear has more connection with mushroom, because during war time, soldiers are always carrying many bigs for different needs. I found those soldiers looks are a lot like the shape of mushroom. Therefore, I tried to collage them together, and surprisingly, they worked very well together.    

08/01/2018

Today I'm still doing research, I went to CSM library for more reference for different types of fungus, it went pretty well, I found many interest mushrooms that have distinct colors and textures. I especially found lamella of mushroom could relate to the original concept of corduroy. However, I know if I only look for mushroom is not strong enough, and it is also very plain for a big project. Therefore, I went back to the history of corduroy, I found that around 1910s, starting from 1910s, both women and men started to wear over all as their workwear, and those fabric are mainly made from corduroy. And then there's a thought coming to my head, what if I combine both workwear and mushroom together, is that going to create an interesting effect. I think I will try this idea tomorrow. 

05/01/2018

First day of starting "Corduroy Project", Got very sick by this bad weather, but I still went to get some fabric and yarns for me to test out for the research parts. To start with the project, firstly, I did some researches about the fabric history, and also some other information about the elements within the corduroy. However, I still could find a right direction from this thread. Therefore, I decided to go wider about the research. For example, when I'm think about the corduroy; first thing come in to my mind is linear textures, so I went to Pinterest for distinct texture of linear materials. And I found a types of fungus looks quite interesting for me, it's called Trametes Versicolor, I'm really in love with the shapes and colours they have, so I will continue look for more types of mushrooms.

04/01/2018

Today is our first day of school. First thing in the morning was critiquing our Christmas Project (Colour Project),  I've been always enjoying this part of class-- learning the ways of how our classmates works, and gain distinct skills of doing project. I really like one of a mates' work, surprisingly, her concept for the project may not as deep as what other people were producing, yet I can see a strong connection from the beginning till the end, I think this is mainly because of the colour blue she was using is very consistent all along the development. Also, the way she used different medias, by creating distinct surface textures is one of the most light spot for her work. I learned so much from it, and what I just said  are the things I need to be improved.  

26/12/2017

Another busy day. We did so many small samples in a very short period of time. The practice we did today was mainly focusing on the colour using, and how do we combine them with distinct medium. I found myself was quite weak on the part, and I wasn't very satisfy about the work I did today. I felt I am restricted or limited by those techniques I normally used, so when I kept doing them I just felt very boring and lose the interest of making work. This is not a good sign, so I got to refresh myself, and try different ways of working with my materials.   

23/12/2017

I'm so struck today about the how to continue with my project, because I found that there is not a strong connections in between 

12/12/2017

Today I did progress tutorial with Chris, it went better than I thought, because I don't have much work for him to see, so I was worried that I might not get much advice from him. However, when I talked to him about my concerns and strugglings with my "Fruit Machine" project, he really helped a lot, and also my mind is sort of having a clearer sense of how should I do a better research and design development. He found my weakness was that I am too staying in the box, I should be more open-minded that it is ok to have many jumpy ideas in my head. For example, when I brought my textile samples to him, he asked me when I see my sample, what can I imagine if I forget all of my concept behind the project. And I said it looks like a puffy dog, he than immediately helped to searched the connection between a puffy dog and space. I was quite shocked with the way he showed me, but at the mean time, everything seems make a strong sense. I would definitely use this method of thinking in my further developments.   

6/12/2017

Today I focused on making textile samples based on the wire experiment I did yesterday. Combining the images and the protection concept I've been researched on, I decided to use yarn, wires and silver leather fabric to create and sample textile. It turned out the result pretty well, Therefore, it inspired me that I could make the size of that sample bigger, and put it on to a body to see if there will be any surprise for me. Because I used wires as one of my materials, I could manipulate the shapes more easily, and when I do that, I could then put the bigger skill sample onto different places of a body, then design base on that.  

30/11/2017

With "Fruit machine" project, I got the quite from Stephen Hawking "I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth.", and also an image that is about plots lines. When I got the quote, it reminded me immediately of a movie call "A space odyssey", and basically this whole movie is a combination of religion and modern technology , human race is afraid of future, unknowns. Based on this whole ideas of scariness, I looked back to my quotes and image, I realised that why would human scared of alien coming to earth? The main reason would simply be they are scared of death, and scared of alien will destroy earth.  Also, the message that image wanted to express is that a lot of plots in the book are about death. Therefore, I summarised the connection between the words and picture is the fears of unknowns(including death) . When people get scared of something, our instinct would be finding protections, and hide somewhere safe. With this concept, the spaceman's helmet inspired me of the idea of protection. I think for the next few days I will research artists or designers that could inspire me more with this concept. 

27/11/2017

With today's workshop,  we were told to recreate the polo t-shirt with the manipulation of the fabric . Having no idea how to start , so i avoid to cut the shirt , but create the shape first . However i do not like the final i have done , coz all the things i have done do not have emphasise , the next time i will focus on one part.

In the afternoon, the knotting workshop inspired me a lot , Because I always use knitting needle and the waving machine to achieve textile samples , For me, it was so excited to have a new technique for doing samples. However , today the material i use is kind of humdrum , the next time i will use more types of the material not just the rope. Also the embroidery is also interesting , because it's not just like a normal one that very delicate, but use the wool yarn and totally different kind of technique to create the  diverse shape , which give me the print idea.

21/11/2017

In the morning, we continued with our project, kept doing research and design development, using colour papers and mark making to create illustration with collages. In the afternoon, we are mainly developing one paper manipulation skill that can be used in our later final designs. After I did few samples, we placed them onto the body to create silhouette based on the texture and colours.