Collection: Part 3

I'm very glad that I got the offer from Westminster BA fashion course, so I got another option to think about. 

In the afternoon, I continued doing my sketchbook work, and did some knitting samples on the body, I combined both thin thread and thick yarn together, the big contrast of them made the thin threads look invisible; therefore, it created a feeling of the disconnection, yet they are still connected. Just like how friendship works, sometimes friends could be apart from each other, yet the true friends always "stay" together. 

I'm really struggle with the "Harrods" project, so I moved on to my personal project, I decided to do some knitting samples, because I saw this artist called Ernesto Neto, his large scale knitted work inspired me that I could do a really big knitting piece that can be worn by two or more people together, and the action of people wearing it is a performance art that represent the relationships between people or friends. 

Also, for the material use, I want to try yarn and thread, because it can well symbolise a friendships, because in any relationship, friction is unavoidableEven if we pull away from one another, the stretchy yarn will always bring us back together.  

I went to Westminster for BA interview.

I went to the workshop, and we used the circular pattern to do draping on human figure. I didn't find this is very helpful for me with this project, however, I still gained a skill of doing drapping. With this technique, it can easily create volume in shapes.  Also, when I work with my partner, it helped me to understand human figure  better, it will also benefit me on the further drapping practice. 

Today I went to visit Imperial War Museum. Taken as a whole, with its huge variety of objects and breadth of coverage, IWM London is an excellent and sensitively organized museum, with an important message for all generations. The World War I section was great and gave a good description of the history related to the First World War. The holocaust section as also ver well done and gives everyone insight into what cannot be repeated again in history. The rest of the museum was lacking. World War II was very much under represented. It was great to see history of war from a British perspective. 

Today, we've been introduce the "Harrods" project. The "green" man is our starting point for this project. To be honest, first thing coming to my mind is military and uniform wear. 

In the afternoon, I went to CSM library to do some research about Harrods and the "green man" history. 

Receiving the offer from Chelsea art and design. Got referred from CSM, cried so hard, but I don't feel regret about anything I did in foundation,  I tried my best, I am sad, but happy about the results, because I also really like doing textile designs. God has decided everything for me, the only thing I could do is just moving on, and be happy!

I was really waiting for the results for a whole day, so I just did some plans for the next few days. 

I did my personal proposal tutorial today with the study support teacher. She really helped me with the format and what information I should include in this proposal.  

At first, we had a long conversation about the concept I want to do for this project, and she showed me some examples of past students sample proposals, We discussed that many of my descriptions are not personal enough, and too vague, it should be more specific about myself. After I told her about my big theme is about friendship, she guide me that I should've write something about my research direction, and also she asked me to have some key words in mind, so while I'm doing the project, I could always have a clear "thread" in mind. 

In the afternoon, I printed out the pictures of my researches, and started to do some collages.

Today I researched more games that I used to play when I was young where people have physical connections. Both where people have something to connect them (eg. String in Cat’s cradle), and also connection through touch. In addition, I will also research visual language in dance and movement. I am interested in the shapes of movements people communicate with one another. For the textile research, I want to look more into distinct artist, such as Louise Bourgeois who did many textile works that relates to her childhood, so I intend to find some inspirations from her ways of transfer her personal stories into art works.

I think the whole ideas of this project for me is a message that says how relationships involves with one and another. And all the body movements really inspired me or gave me a sense of visual language in connecting people together. 

Got sick again, after these two days of researching, I sort of have an idea for this concept, and that is Kinship, I wanted to focus on the relationships between me and my best friend. My closest friend is just like my family: we grew up together and are important to each other. In any relationship, friction is unavoidable. In these moments, tolerance can lead us back to one another. I intended to demonstrate how this relationship has affected me over the years. In addition, I found a childhood game called "Cat's Cradle" gave me a lot inspirations for what I could do next. 

When I was young, I often played the game Cat’s Cradle, where two people use one piece of string to create different figures with their hands. I always found the different shapes and movements interesting: all the various figures reminded me of how friends can play different roles in our lives.  

My goal for today was just to do some random researches at the library, relating my childhood memories and finding some artists that could inspire me with my personal experience. I searched for a textile artist called Louise Bourgeois really interested me. Most of her work was inspired by her childhood memories  with her family, and the ways she transfer an abstract feeling into art pieces are very interesting. For example, the "spider" is an art motive for in her work, it represents the love of her mother. I'm thinking to do a textile garment for this project; therefore, Bourgeois's work is good starting point for me to look at. 

Starting my final project, very stuck. This is a project where I could really do what I want, so I got to be very thoughtful about the starting point. Through back to the past projects I did, I found that there was no project was relating to myself or my personal stories. Therefore, for this project, I strongly want to do something that can express my personal emotions. I decided to look deep into three parts of me as my inspirations, and they are: family/friends/childhood.