Final photoshoot

Final photoshoot

Danica Pistekova

Meaning behind this

This wearable cocoon of quilts and blankets by Slovakian architecture graduate Danica Pistekova is just right for people who wish they could take their bed with them in the morning.

"The project is something in between,"

"Between fashion and architecture, small and big, private and public, intuitive and logical."

Reference:https://www.dezeen.com/2012/09/29/duvet-clothes-by-danica-pistekova/ 

Florian Baudrexel

Thoughts

I saw Florian's work online while I was looking for Maria's work. I think Florian's inspired me a lot with this project, the picture on the top side showed a great example of "close pattern seam", and because of that, the volume inside started to show up.

NICHOLAS ALAN COPE & DUSTIN EDWARD ARNOLD "VEDAS"

Class 3D samples

Her Project

Her projects 

can be understood as sculptures or costumes. In many cases, it is difficult to determine which is in control: the body or the form. Perhaps more clearly than any other artist, Blaisse resides firmly between the disciplines of art, design, textiles, and fashion. Her work is an investigation of form and material. The results have found homes in the theater, on the fashion catwalk, and in the art gallery.

resource: http://mariablaisse.com/

Vincent Fecteau

Vincent Fecteau

Naum Gabo (construction in Space with Crystalline Centre ) Took From Tate Modern

Issey Miyake 1987

More work of Sarah Oppenhelmer

Thoughts

I really love Sarah's work. I like the way she combine the lines and spaces together, although it is very minimal, yet still create those space for viewer to see and think. 

Edel Assanti (visited the gallery)

Tate Modern(photos by me)

Final outcome samples took with the building

What is "Brutalist Architecture"?

Brutalist buildings are usually formed with repeated modular elements forming masses representing specific functional zones, distinctly articulated and grouped together into a unified whole. Concrete is used for its raw and unpretentious honesty, contrasting dramatically with the highly refined and ornamented buildings constructed in the elite Beaux-Arts style. Surfaces of cast concrete are made to reveal the basic nature of its construction, revealing the texture of the wooden planks used for the in-situ casting forms. 

Credit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture

The instituted of education

The instituted of education

The Brunswick Center

The Brunswick Center

deconstructing umbrella

Why I choose umbrella

I inspirad by the artist Rowland. By deconstructing daily object, and transform it into a new form. Combining the bone construction idea that I start with. I decided to use umbrella as my object.

Deconstructed: Sculptures by Regardt van der Meulen

Research of Rowlands’ deconstructing sculpture from our daily object

description of Rowlands' deconstruction piece

using normal familiar objects to take a momentary step back from familiarity

removing "skin from a cadaver (or worse a living body) to show the bones 

transform material from the urban environment using simple processes of cutting, bending and stacking. Arranging and reconstructing the portions I search for discernable patterns to create new forms that intercept the preconceived order. Offering up the potential of a new process of thought or interaction.

Structure of bones (From CSM library)

Bone inspiration

"What's the point" project mainly focused on the previous work we did for the past few weeks. I found that I am more interested in developing the jacket project. The reason why I found bone structure is a very related idea is because when we deconstruct our jacket before, it was like taking the "body" apart, and reconstruct them into a distinct shape or structure. Therefore, it reminded me of human bones, it also had a connection with the jacket, because we all wear clothing on top of our body. Further more, I also love the shapes that human bone creates. From here, I think this is a great start for me to do more deeper research about it.

Structure of bones (From CSM library)

Experimenting with material collages

Head piece of Miao people

Miao's traditional clothing(from book "Miao textiles from china")

description

Front of coat (aba) tapestry weave with blue silk and metal thread in geometric and striped design. 

Burma, Chin (From the book "Asian Costumes and textiles")

Japan's Kimono(from the book "Asian Costumes and textiles")

India Kutch(from the book "Asian Costumes and Textiles")

description

India Kutch Gujarar 

Wedding blouse(choli) silk and cotton embroidery and applications with buttons and mirror ornameins.

I really like this blouse's colors and shapes of using different textures. 

Chinese Miao clothing (from the book "Asian Costumes and textiles")

Final out comes of jacket project

Maison Martin Margiela 'Deconstructing Femininity' By Saschney Crowe

UNDERCOVER 2016SS "EVIL CLOWN"

Leather print(from CSM library)

deconstruction

Research of vintage leather jacket. The old texture, interesting badges, and zippers. Also, how do they look like when they come a part.

Print on wall 19/09

Print on wall 19/09

Print on wall 19/09

Japanese rice bag

description

Research of package-- Japanese rice bag

-Japanese 'Komebukuro' rice bags

-hold temple offerings of rice and other goods. 

- These square-bottomed bags were painstakingly made by sewing strips of cloth together. Fortunately, this kit is rather easier to make!

Neoprene Fabric

description

Thick, soft, easy to manipulate

Continencia clay

description

Cotton woman's tunic with silk embroidery. The skirt is richly gathered on waist. 

description

The balance of everything in the world. 

For instance, women and men, black and white, life and death.

Rice Christian

Rice Christian is a term used, usually pejoratively, to describe someone who has formally declared himself/herself a Christian for material benefits rather than for religious reasons.

The term comes from Asian countries, such as IndiaChina and Japan

One of the earliest examples of this concept in English appeared in 1689 with the writings of William Dampier when he wrote regarding the French priests' effort to convert people of Tonkin that "alms of rice have converted more than their preaching."[3]

Final photoshoot

Final photoshoot

Danica Pistekova

Florian Baudrexel

Thoughts

Honestly, I'm in love with this two designers, these pieces are creepy, scary, weird,and beautiful at the same time. The color white is just perfectly create a solitude feeling. I would say they are not making clothing, they are making a form that is just wore on top of a body, you can see the body shape underneath those indistinct white fabric. Just beautiful.

Thoughts

When I saw her work, I am obsessed with her work, through her garment, not not only a cloth wearing on top of a body, it is a form, a movement, the cloth can "speak", and the message is very strong.  

Also, I love the fabric she chose to use. It looks like neoprene or something similar. With those kind of fabric, it can really hold the shapes, and looks very smooth on the body too.  

Vincent Fecteau

Vincent Fecteau's Work

Vincent Fecteau is known for carefully handcrafting modestly-sized sculptures from everyday materials such as rubber bands, paper clips, seashells, and string, often incorporating these things into papier-mâché or foamcore structures.

"I like to work on a group of pieces all at the same time, spending long periods just staring at things and trying to activate or access a feeling that somehow relates to what I'm trying to make. …When I'm open to things but not fixed on an objective is when I'm most likely to discover a connection that helps a piece feel more resolved."

resource: http://www.matthewmarks.com/new-york/artists/vincent-fecteau/ 

Vincent Fecteau

Issey Miyake (1989 photographyed)

Parangolé 1987

Naum Gabo Sculpture

description

It is based on the juxtaposition of organic, sweeping planes with demonstrate the properties of transparency and flexibility in Perspex, and a precise, crystalline centre/ 

Class work on body (paper pattern)

Architecture Fashion (Mariaelisa Duque)

Sarah Oppenhelmer(view from the Annely Juda Fine Art)

The Barbican Centre

The progress of making final out comes 1

The progress of making final out comes 2

The progress of making final out comes 3

The instituted of education

The instituted of education

The Brunswick Center

Designed by Patrick Hodgkinson, this grade ll-listed residential and shopping centre has made several TV and film appearances and even had a song written about it by 90s indie ‘supergroup’ Lodger.The impact of its striking service towers and flying buttresses is softened by the sky blue and cream colour scheme, lending the whole development an almost breezy air.

credit from: https://londonist.com/2012/05/londons-top-brutalist-buildings

The Brunswick Center

description

Johannesburg-based artist Regardt van der Meulencreates amazing steel sculptures inspired by time, memory and mortality.

Tomos Rowlands

Rowlands’ art is characterized by the distorted shapes of familiar and semi-familiar objects. From coiled crutches to deconstructed bathtubs to entire rooms missing orange peel-type segments, his work forces the viewer to take a momentary step back from familiarity.

Research of Rowlands’ art

Structure of bones (From CSM library)

Structure of bones (From CSM library)

Structure of bones (From CSM library)

3D print collages

Head piece of Miao people

The Lusheng Festival

The Lusheng Festival is the most influential festival of the Miao community. It is popular throughout Guizhou, Yunnan, and Sichuan Provinces. The Lusheng Festival in Kaili, Guizhou is the most famous and grand of the bunch. It begins on the 16th day of the first lunar month, and climaxes on the 19th and 20th days .The festival features a lot of Miao ethnic activities, such as singing, bullfighting, horse racing, and dancing to the rhythm of the Lusheng.

The ceremony is performed to bring hope for a favorable harvest in the coming year alongside good health. It is also a chance for the youth to express their admiration and love towards one another.

Miao

Guizhou Province is often referred to as the Miao homeland. Southeastern Guizhou Dong and Miao Autonomous Prefecture is the major base of the Miao population. The Miao population accounts for over 25 percent of the people living in the southeastern Guizhou region.

Tai County is home to the largest concentration of Miao people in the world. Their number composes 97 percent of the total population of the county. Other Miao people are spread all over the other counties in the province.

The majority of Miao people live in areas in the mountains that are away from cities. They also prefer to live with their own people rather than those of other ethnicities.

Iraq coat (From book "Asian Costumes and Textiles")

Afghanistan Mangalli Nomads (from the book "Asian Costumes and Textiles")

UNDERCOVER 2016SS "EVIL CLOWN"

Book "PRIDE AND GLORY"(from CSM library)

Print on wall 19/09

Print on wall 19/09

Parts of the observation drawing

Parts of the observation drawing

Package concept

The functions of packaging 

- Prewar, most people took the benefits of packaging for granted, Substitute materials, during the years of war shortages, awakened the general public to the real functions performed by the package. 

(--Reference from the book "MODERN PACKAGING ENCYCLOPEDIA")

These days, people are more and more interested in packaging design, therefore, sometimes packaging merely as a matter of external glamor, because of this, it is much easier for people to ignore what is inside the package which means the real value of the product can be deceptively by those well made packaging.

Jeannine Marchand

description

An artist from Spruce Pine, NC who is really good at doing monochromatic sculptures.  

Taoism prints (From CSM library)

Taoism

- Never forget the essence. This means we should be always grateful to what nature have been brought to everyone's life.

- Innermost is much more important than the appearance, this contains everything in our life.